Tuesday, June 5, 2012

JED PRESENTS!! 5/3 & 4/ 2012

On May 3, we were taken to the Salt Lake International Airport at 5:00 AM and boarded a plane to Dallas and then another to New York.  While Ann occupied herself with reading calmly....
....Wayne anxiously peered out the window worrying about how high we were above the ground.  Did I mention that Wayne does not like to fly?  In this Wayne and his sister-in-law, Linda, are very similar!!




When we arrived in New York, we took the bus to 116th and then walked the rest of the way to Jed and Kate's apartment.  We found our son preparing his speech he was giving the next night at the Opening Ceremonies of the 25th Columbia University Film Festival.  Jed has been a student at Columbia University for 5 years working on his Masters of Fine Arts in Film after completing a BFA in Film and BA in English at BYU.  Just like Megan, Bethany, Angi, and Amanda have all supported our sons as they developed their needed requirements to begin a career, so too has Kate worked hard over the years to support Jed as he developed the skills needed to pursue his dreams.  We were here to honor both Jed and Kate for this accomplishment!  As well as completing this Masters Degree, Jed has developed himself and a reputation for his craft, thus he was honored to be a presenter at last year's and this year's film festival.  Did i mention we are proud?



The next night, May 4th, we were in a huge New York Theater near Times Square, thrilled at being there with our son, his wife and many other film people of college and beyond.  Of the many presenters, the one that preceded Jed directly was Chevy Chase.  I had been a long time fan of this actor and comedian and was looking forward to seeing him and possibly meeting him.  But after this crotchety, bitter, rude, unprepared and un-caring old man presented the film he was to introduce, I had lost all respect for the man.  I still like his films, but my bubble was burst as to the man that was the actor.  I would not cross the street to shake his hand.  I was disappointed, as were several of the people sitting near me.



A breath of fresh air came as Jed was the next presenter.  Yes there was personal prejudice here, but Jed did not need that.  He stood on his own, well prepared, respectfully speaking of the person he was honoring, caring and compassionate towards the many people this person had benefited by crossing her paths. We were proud of his efforts and the honor that was given him in being asked to be a presenter and in the honor he gave to his person he was presenting.  Many people, afterwards complimented him on a well done job and congratulated us for having such a fine son.  Did I mention we were proud?



Proud enough to put in two pictures of this presenter!  What a handsome guy!!



Directly following Jed, was Michael Moore.  I was prepared not to like this guy.  I am not a supporter of the political opinions he expresses in his films and when I have seen him on interviews, I was not impressed with his stand.  But I was wowed by his well prepared, caring, compassionate, upbeat presentation and words of advice to the film making world.  Well done Michael Moore!  I would love to shake your hand and have dinner with you some day.  I am glad you were asked to present at this forum.  My image of you has been altered. Still not sure I agree with you on some points, but you are a strong, convicted person! You made my evening!



Another thing we were impressed with were the vast number of people that complimented Jed on his service he has performed at the University, his integrity and his film making skills.  There are many that wish to rub shoulders with him and be in his camp.  Did I mention proud parents?



I snapped this as Jed listened to another person complimenting him on his craft skills.  Do you see a proud wife and mother?



Of course, this particular congratulations distributor was Kate's brother and his wife who flew out to NY from WA to support Jed and Kate in their activities.
Never the less, we came here to support and left the evening well pleased.

No comments:

Post a Comment